We have a lot of content here on Meeple Like Us. Board game reviews, accessibility teardowns, editorials, and exclusive Patreon content. We have a lot that you might like to explore on the site. This is the full index of what we have for you.
If you are looking for recommendations for specific games that may work with specific accessibility requirements, check out our recommender tool!
Board Game Reviews
Here are our board game reviews, along with their associated teardowns. Our board game reviews are discursive, comprehensive, and ideally conformant with our principles regarding the New Board Game Journalism. We post new board game reviews on a Wednesday, with the corresponding accessibility teardown posted on the following Saturday.
You might also be interested in our full master-list if you want to see all the games and all the grades.
In addition to our usual board game reviews, we also occasionally post editorials. These are funded by our generous Patrons.
- 180 Days Later… (editorial)
- Acquisitions & Consumption – You’re Welcome in this Hobby (editorial)
- A Year of Meeple Centred Design – Talking about You and Me and the Games People Play (editorial)
- Board Games and Social Isolation (editorial)
- Busting the myths around Sociological Accessibility (editorial)
- Dealing with the Inaccessibilities of a Luxury Hobby (editorial)
- Global Accessibility Awareness Day 2017 (editorial)
- How Do We Make Accessibility Sexier (editorial)
- I’m A Fraud – The Signed Confessions of Michael Heron (editorial)
- Mindful Jargon (editorial)
- Some Honest Reflections on Patreon (editorial)
- The Accessibility of House Rules (editorial)
- The Terrible Twos – the Second Anniversary of Meeple Like Us (editorial)
- Universal Inaccessibility in Board Games (editorial)
In addition to our usual board game reviews, we occasionally put out some properly academic content. That’s because a number of us are essentially working in a kind of board game academia.
- Meeple Centred Design: A Heuristic Toolkit for Evaluating the Accessibility of Tabletop Games (blog post | academic paper)
- Eighteen Months of Meeple Like Us: An Exploration into the State of Board Game Accessibility (blog post | academic paper)
- Adventures in the World of Board Game Accessibility Seminar (video)
- Axschat with Michael (video)
In addition to our usual board game reviews, we also occasionally post special features on a range of topics.
- Ballad of the Fancy Lads, the (special feature)
- Behind the Scenes of a Game Blogger’s Patreon (special feature)
- Building an Accessible Game Library on a Budget (special feature)
- Meeple Like Us Top Ten Best Board Games, 2017 Edition (special feature)
- Meeple Like Us Top Ten Best Board Games, 2018 Edition (special feature)
- Soft Power of Word of Mouth (special feature)
- Teaching with Boardgames – Cardboard Prototyping (special feature)
- You are Not Alone – Pragmatic and Philosophical Tips for Content Creators (special feature)
- Colectia de Sahuri – Cluj-Napoca, Romania (video)
Accessibility in Action
- Wibbell++ (case study)
Books, Movies and Documentaries
In addition to our usual board game reviews, we also occasionally review other media.
Actually, it’s about ethics in board game reviews
In addition to our usual board game reviews, we are also very interested in the topic of ethics in criticism. Ethics in general, really.
The New Boardgame Journalism – The Art of Board Game Reviews
We have some thoughts on the best way to approach board game reviews, and we record those here.
- Bloom’s Taxonomy of Board Game Reviews (editorial)
- Game Criticism and the Myth of the Objective Review (editorial)
- New Boardgame Journalism – with apologies to Kieron Gillen (editorial)
- New Game Journalism Reader (special feature)
- Reviewer Isolationism in the Hobbyist Media Landscape (editorial)
- In Defence of Board Game Review Scores (editorial)
- Michael’s perspective on UKGE 2017 (part one | part two)
- Pauline’s perspective on UKGE 2017 (part one | part two)
- Glasgow Games Festival 2017 (Michael’s view)
- Our advice for the UKGE 2018 (editorial)
- Michael’s UKGE 2018 Diary (special feature)
- Pauline’s UKGE 2018 Diary (special feature)
- Michael’s Review of Tabletop Scotland 2018 ( special feature)
- Pauline’s Tabletop Scotland 2018 Diary (part one | part two)
Patreon exclusive content
The content here is exclusive to our patrons. We never restrict access to our board game reviews, but there’s plenty of other stuff that you’re missing..
Patreon roundup newsletters are exclusively available to $1 Patrons.
- Patreon Roundup – February 2019
- Patreon Roundup – January 2019
- Patreon Roundup – December 2018
- Patreon Roundup – November 2018
- Patreon Roundup – October 2018
- Patreon Roundup – September 2018
- Patreon Roundup – August 2018
- Patreon Roundup – July 2018
- Patreon Roundup – June 2018
- Patreon Roundup – May 2018
- Patreon Roundup – April 2018
Depth Year Diary
Depth year diaries are available to $3 Patrons a year in advance.
Meeple Monthly Roundup
Monthly roundups of the best from tabletop media in the month are available to $3 Patrons a year in advance.